Sunday, February 23, 2014

Silence

This morning, I found myself reading the newspaper without any surrounding noise and interruption. I looked up, checked myself and realized this was the first time since I arrived in India in early January that I had some time to myself.

Coming to Ahmedabad to visit my parents and siblings, whether from Bangalore or elsewhere, means a few days of peace and quiet and zero plans and commitments. It ALWAYS turns out to be the opposite.

This time around, there were a few events we had specifically wanted to be a part of. We welcomed a baby girl born to my sister-in-law in Bangalore. The 3 weeks preceding that saw me running around and lending a helping hand to anyone who asked. Besides, I was in Bangalore, my second home. I didn't want to miss out to reliving some past moments either. So meeting friends and driving alone at night along the inner ring road were high on the agenda.

My stay in Ahmedabad so far has been about eating out, eating in, managing and helping around the house and baby-sitting my niece and taking her out. My parents are busy people (!!) and I am often found wishing for some time away with just them for company. That way I can have undivided attention and some exclusive time with them.

I just returned from a wedding late last night. Weddings can be such an emotional time! It starts really high and ends with a really bad low. I was meeting some cousins after a long time, some for the first time.I was left wishing we'd meet more often, or at least be able to spend some more time together for some more fun and frolic. The older relatives looked older and I wished for their health. For some, I was left wondering if I'll be able to see them again. This entire gamut of emotions hits you within a short period....some 24 hours. And you are left alone to nurse the hangover...heavy-lid eyes, memories of laughter, separation pangs, heavy hearts, etc.

So a quiet morning seems meditative. I feel like for the first time in a long time, I was able to concentrate on the food in my plate and taste the daal and rice over lunch with my 87 year old, highly intellectual uncle who is missing the sense of speech and sound since he was 6 months old. Lunch felt like a meditation exercise. And I realized I had finally achieved the tall speeches 'life coaches' make about the power of silence.

No comments: