Friday, September 6, 2013

Hello...

It's like someone turned on a switch which made the crowds disappear, the heat more bearable, evenings shorter and the nights chillier. The music, which earlier sounded of cheerful beats and choruses is now mournful, accompanied by a trumpet and a rasta crooning songs of longing. In the past one week itself we heard of a couple of shootings around town. Seems like they too were waiting for the happy summer to pass. Everyone is now back to business!

For tomorrow, the city is preparing for a parade of the sail boats big and small. We will go watch this from the Pharo, a fort with an advantage of height and a direct view of the bay. Sunday brings in the VIVACITE, when I am putting up a performance. (Do watch out for yours truly in the video provided in the link!) I finally got my residency card and am much relieved that I'll be able to travel outside France without any worry. The end of next week brings my brother and his wife to Europe. I look forward to it. If it were left to me, I would load all my favourite people in a van and drive them across the world to my place here. And I would house them with me and I would cook for them delicious food that encourages heady conversations around dining tables.

A couple of weeks ago, we went hiking along a trail just outside Marseille. We were more keen on seeing a calanque. So after about 1/2 an hour of walking when we realized we were moving away from the coast, we turned back and made a beeline for the sea. It was rough, there was a chill in the air, it was very windy, and fortunately the sun was out. You know that place where you go to relax and gather your thoughts, that place that you can call your own? I think I found mine.



No comments: