Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Day trips

We went to Cassis and Aix-en-Provence. Both are towns about a 30-minute bus ride away. Cassis is a beach town. Aix is just a town with a lot of history. Aix is also more English-friendly. We walked around a lot. When we went to Cassis, it was still a little chilly and people were coats. A week later in Aix, the streets were abound with spring clothes and colours. It was such a contrast!

It's about summer here Marseille. I could feel it when I ventured out this afternoon. I thought of taking the ferry from Vieux Port to Pointe Rouge, a suburb. I should have thought twice.

You see, Wednesday is mid-week school day off in France. And if you are a mother of two and work at a permanent position, your company is entitled to give you a day off on Wednesday. Labour laws.....! So the port was bustling with kids and people and the heat was making it terrible for them. I returned home. The ferry ride can wait.

My French is no better than it was when I left home. On the other hand, the lady at whose centre I volunteer twice a week can speak only a little English. When we communicate by mail, I translate my message using Google Translate and send it across. It's amazing to see that the work does get done.

We've had some people from the agency come and repair a few appliances. For them, I keep my dictionary handy along with my broken French. This afternoon, an Arabic electrician, upon knowing my nationality, asked if I spoke Arabic :|. I generally feel people aren't much aware of things that don't fall within the realm of daily activity.

Cassis waters

Around Aix

Around Aix

Around Aix

Around Aix

No comments: